Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Do you work on projects in the summer??

Here are words that spread panic into many good hearts: "Are you ready for Christmas yet?" Some people have (I believe) some magic that gets them ready for Christmas by Thanksgiving...and cook a big dinner too! I wish they would share their magic (It probably includes some hard work). One friend starts December 26th.

But really, I have never been a "summer knitter". This is changing, as there is a baby (1st grandchild) coming, in July. The first baby sweater took a lo-o-o-o-o-ng time to do. The second would weigh down a toddler. I am moving on to a blanket; 4x4" squares in garter stitch. (Classic Babies, Book 4, by Cashsoft Baby DK). But I am afraid that this baby will inspire summer knitting for the next 20 years. There is already an order for a Tiger and a Teddy Bear, and the baby hasn't been born yet (I love it)!

It is a good time to start gifts, especially if you knit at my speed. Here is a good book for those who want to knit toys: Knitted Toys: 21 easy-to-knit patterns for irresistible soft toys, by Fiona McTague. The Wed Night group liked it very much.

For those who like beads or other sparkly stuff, there is Knit and Crochet with Beads, by Lily M. Chin. We were whistling at the pictures. It answers the eternal question: How do you get beads on really long strands of yarn?

Who of you visit yarn shops on vacations/trips? The range of yarn shopping ranges from, 1) being dragged into one by a friend/relation, 2) finding a shop and asking if anyone minds if she/he goes in, 3) finding a shop and shrieking,"I'm going here", to, 4) planning a trip route by yarn or quilt shop's locations. I am the wander-by type. I wandered into Portland's Closeknit and bought some yarn, of course, chosen by my son for a hat. It is so much fun!

Tomorrow, Wednesday at 6:30-8:00 PM, at Deming Library, is another evening spent fondling yarn. Hope to see you there. I was away the last 2 Wednesdays and I miss my co-yarn addicts!

Louise






No comments:

Post a Comment