Sunday, May 30, 2010

When Informal Gatherings Becomes Something More

I realized, after last week's gathering on Wednesday night (for knitting, etc), that these Wednesdays sessions have evolved into a meeting of friends. I read books about this. But I really didn't anticipate it happening to us. I think it takes some time, some kindness, and some history to happen. I hope others will find the same experience, either with us or with a different gathering of individuals. We all come with our own fears or feelings about meeting new people. It is a little scary to jump into a new experience. But I think craft-ers are a special group of people. They want to teach and help others enjoy what THEY enjoy.

So we had our usual thoughtful and humorous Wednesday evening. Anne has nearly finished a Tree of Life blanket. The edging is being knitted, then will be attached. I am impressed! Helen is making a 6 ft cabled scarf. Lovely and LONG. I am still garter stitching squares for the baby blanket (I have 5 weeks left!).

We looked at some lovely books this week. Knit Kimono: 18 Designs with Simple Shapes, by Vicki Square. Everyone liked the patterns, Dofunku, and Taiko Happi. The history of the kimono is included.

The second book is, Awareness Knits: Knit and Crochet Projects for the Eco-Concious Stitcher, by Vickie Howell and Adriane Armstrong. This book is about more than just using green products; there are ways to knit for world peace! I may be stretching that a little, but it IS indeed more than product selection, and touches on many current issues. Check it out and report back!

Remember, you can comment on this blog. We would love to hear your thoughts. Keep raveling and unraveling that yarn.

Louise

1 comment: